Financial Support for Community-Based SRHR Initiatives
As part of the Her Future, Her Choice project, Oxfam Canada is pleased to announce support for several initiatives that will raise awareness in Canada about sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), such as:
- Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE)
- Contraceptive care
- Access to youth-friendly Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) services
- Access to safe abortion and other reproductive healthcare
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- 2SLGBTQ+ rights
- Destigmatizing sex positivity and the right to pleasure
- Ending Gender-Based Violence (GBV)
- Other SRHR issues
Oxfam Canada will be supporting public engagement initiatives based in Canada under 2 different streams: one for individual youth (age 18-29); and one for self-identified women’s rights organizations (WROs) or youth-led organizations (YLOs). Over the next two years (2021-2022), there will be three different rounds of applications.
Selected activities must respect differences of gender, sexual orientation, identity, ability, race, language, religion, country of origin and political perspective. It is also required that selected applicants follow all government related Covid-19 health restrictions and guidelines.
At the bottom and side of this page you can find a downloadable PDF with the information on this page and the full application in French.
Individual Funding Stream
Are you between the age of 18-29 years old and have a public engagement initiative you want to organize in your community to draw attention to SRHR issues that are important to you? Maybe it’s a film screening, a workshop, a radio debate, a discussion panel, an art installation – there are so many creative ways to raise awareness! We want to hear what initiatives you’re inspired to bring to life in order to make positive change.
We will provide between $500-$5,000 to support eligible costs to youth in Canada so they can implement their creative public engagement SRHR initiatives in their Canadian based community. We expect selected initiatives to be completed within 6 months of signing the support agreement.
If selected, you and your initiative will be part of a growing international network of incredible sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) advocates and initiatives like: Gilda Jacinta, an 18-year-old activista in Mozambique who promotes SRHR with in-school youth and through radio programs; Generation Alive in Zambia, who created youth-friendly spaces in SRH clinics; and The Network for Youth Development in Malawi, who have provided social media training for over 2000 youth to engage on SRHR issues and advocate for access to SRH services for youth.
Eligibility and requirements:
- Applicants must be between 18-29 years of age at the time this application is submitted to be eligible for selection.
- Individuals are only allowed one submission.
- These creative public engagement SRHR initiatives must take place in their Canadian based community.
- Their initiative’s eligible activities combined must be between $500-$5,000 CAD.
- Selected initiatives must be completed within 6 months of signing the support agreement.
- All selected participants will be required to participate in a review and submit a brief final report on their initiative once it’s done. This will include all financial documentation as outlined in the support agreement. Selected participants may also be asked to participate in future selection committees.
Organizational Funding Stream
Do you work for a women’s rights organization (WRO) or youth-led organization (YLO) that is doing sustained community mobilization on SRHR?
We will provide one WRO or YLO in Canada with $35,000 to support community mobilization initiatives on SRHR anywhere in Canada. We expect the selected organization to complete the designated activities within 12 months of signing the support agreement.
Eligibility and requirements:
- Organization must self-identify as a women’s rights organization and/or youth led organization.
- Organizations must have a Canadian registered business/charitable number.
- Organizations are only allowed one submission.
- The proposed sustained community mobilization on SRHR must take place in Canada.
- The proposed eligible activities under this stream must not cost more than $35,000 CAD, which will need to be used within 12 months of signing the support agreement. The organization’s activities can continue beyond the 12-month period, but no further support will be provided via this stream.
- The selected organization will be required to sign a support agreement, participate in an evaluation and submit a brief final report on their initiative once the initiative is done. This will include all financial documentation as outlined in the support agreement.
- The selected organization may be asked to participate in future selection committees.
Her Future Her Choice is funded by the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada, Oxfam and individual donors.
Diversity and inclusion are at the forefront of the selection committee’s decisions. We value and encourage diversity, while striving for equity, and welcome applications from traditionally under-represented groups (for example, women, 2SLGBTQ+ individuals, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour, and/or people living with disabilities).