Let's demand an economy
that works for women
Eight men have the same wealth as the poorest half of the planet. It is clear that a new economic model is needed to build a world where the economy works for everyone, not just the wealthy elite.
Campaign with us to close the gap between the rich and the rest and help advance women’s rights worldwide.
Our government can help reduce inequality by building a new, more human, economic model. It can start now with a Federal Budget that:
- Encourages living wages in Canada, holds Canadian companies accountable abroad, and puts an end to the global race to the bottom on taxation and wages.
- Closes the gender pay gap and make sure women are treated fairly at work – no matter where they live or what job they do.
- Invests in public services, like child care and elder care, that reduce and redistribute women’s unpaid care work.
- Increases the aid budget to tackle global poverty and advance women's rights around the world.
Know the Evidence
There is no question; inequality is bad for everyone. Research done by Oxfam and others shows that extreme inequality:
- robs people of the chance for a full human life
- fuels crime, corruption and violent conflict
- widens the gap between women and men
- is one of the biggest barriers to ending global poverty
Market fundamentalism, political capture and gender inequality are the leading causes of rising inequality. Learn more about what’s causing the inequality crisis through these Oxfam reports: