Work & Wages
Nowhere in the world do women earn as much as men do. Women are concentrated in the lowest paid and most precarious jobs making it hard to escape poverty.
The changes Oxfam wants to see:
- The federal government should raise the minimum wage for workers under federal jurisdiction to a living wage and use federal government procurement to support women-led businesses and incentivize companies to pay living wages.
- The federal government should ensure women earn as much as men for work of equal value by implementing the 2018 Pay Equity Act.
- The federal government should modernize the employment insurance system by lowering the eligibility threshold and tying access to need rather than just earnings.
Questions to ask candidates in your riding:
- If your party forms the next government, will you raise the federal minimum wage and be a champion for living wages with provincial and territorial governments?
- If your party forms the next government, what will you do to ensure women earn as much as men for work of equal value?
- If your party forms the next government, what steps will you take to ensure low-wage workers have access to employment insurance?