Responsibility for unpaid care work is one of the biggest barriers to women’s economic equality, keeping many women trapped in poverty by preventing them from pursuing employment and educational opportunities.
The changes Oxfam wants to see:
- The federal government should commit to building a public child care system that is affordable for all families in Canada and ensure decent work for care workers.
- The federal government should work with the provinces to uphold the labour rights of caregivers and domestic workers, including living wages.
- Canada should ratify the International Labour Organization Convention 189 on the protection of domestic workers.
Questions to ask candidates in your riding:
- Does your party have a plan to make childcare affordable for all families across Canada?
- If your party forms the next government, what steps will you to take to ensure workers in the care sector make living wages and have decent working conditions?
- Will you ratify the International Labour Organization Convention 189 on the protection of domestic workers?