International Aid & Foreign Policy
Women around the world disproportionately experience poverty and discrimination; they earn less than men, have unequal access to resources and education, and are underrepresented in decision-making.
The changes Oxfam wants to see:
- The federal government should champion women’s rights in all foreign policy areas: aid, trade, diplomacy, and defense.
- The federal government should uphold a feminist approach to Canadian international assistance and dedicate substantial resources to feminist movement building and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- The federal government should develop a 10-year plan to achieve the UN aid target of 0.7% of gross national income.
Questions for candidates in your riding:
- If your party forms the next government, will you hold Canadian companies to account for human rights violations in their global supply chains?
- If your party forms the next government, will you uphold a feminist approach to international assistance or propose major changes to Canadian aid?
- If your party forms the next government, will you increase Canada’s aid budget?