Conflict, Displacement & Humanitarian Crises
Violence, persecution and extreme weather events have led to unprecedented levels of displacement and humanitarian crisis, which put women and girls at increased risks, but can at times offer women new leadership opportunities.
The changes Oxfam wants to see:
- The federal government should welcome more refugees and continue to prioritize groups who are most vulnerable to harm, such as women, children and members of the LGBTQI community.
- The federal government should dedicate $100 million per year of Canadian international aid to programming that focusses on women’s rights and leadership in fragile and conflict-affected countries.
- The federal government should repeal the arms deal with Saudi Arabia, who is waging a devastating war on neighboring Yemen and deliberately targeting civilians.
Questions to ask candidates in your riding:
- If your party forms the next government, will you commit to increasing the number of refugees to be resettled in Canada?
- If your party forms the next government, how will you ensure Canada’s response to humanitarian emergencies protects and empower women and girls?
- If your party forms the next government, will you suspend Canada’s arms deal with Saudi Arabia?