Oxfam in Ethiopia
- Success Stories
- Engendering Change
- Benishangul Gumuz Food Security and Economic Growth Project
- GROW – Helping women in Ethiopia transform their lives
- ABCD: Local empowerment in Ethiopia
- You Get My Goat
- Videos: Putting Smallholder Producers at the Centre of the Value Chain
- So many changes: A success story
“We used to hold coffee ceremonies three times a day. We reduced this to once a day to save money.” Khoree Dhosa on the impact of women’s self-help literacy and savings groups established by Oxfam Canada’s Ethiopian partner organization HUNDEE through the Engendering Change program to reduce gender inequality.
- Onions and a leaky bucket: A success story
Gathered together under the shade of a big leafy tree, a group of men and women listen attentively to Rupiya Avenqee present the results of a “leaky bucket” exercise by members of her community economic group in Adami Tullu, Ethiopia.
- Forests and fires: a success story
“Before, everyone would run to their own homes when there was a fire . . . Now they understand that they can prevent these fires.” One of Oxfam’s key roles in the Benishangul Gumuz Food Security and Economic Growth project in Ethiopia is to train local communities to reduce the risk of disaster and to prepare to protect their livelihoods when natural or man-made disaster strikes.
- Improving women's lives starts with changing minds. "Previously, when my wife and I disagreed, I had the final decision. But now I listen to her point of view.“
Shini Boru, Oromia region, Ethiopia, on the impact of Oxfam's Engendering Change program.
- Oxfam Canada’s approach to is to partner with local civil society organizations who well understand the intricacies of local culture and can develop ‘home-grown’ strategies that communities are more likely to adopt.
Matt Stenson blogs on Engendering Change.
- Read: Rural Women: A Force for Change in Ethiopia
ABCD: Local empowerment in Ethiopia
Communities are mobilized to identify and build their resources, strengths and abilities in Asset-based Community Development.
- What is ABCD?
- Watch three powerful videos on the impact of ABCD
“Is there more happiness than this?” Kibnesh tells how Oxfam Canada’s innovative Asset-based Community Development program, known as ABCD, brought prosperity, love and laughter to her family in Ethiopia.
Unwrapped in Ethiopia
Oxfam Canada’s Unwrapped gift program supports small livestock projects that focus on women and promote self-sufficiency through local partner organizations in Ethiopia.
- Read: You Get My Goat
Benishangul Gumuz Food Security and Economic Growth Project
Oxfam Canada is working to break the cycle of rural poverty in a region of Ethiopia where most families depend on subsistence farming and many face annual food shortages. Oxfam is in a unique partnership of six Canadian NGOs, the International Network for Bamboo and Rattan and the Government of Ethiopia to implement the Benishangul Gumuz Food Security and Economic Growth Project.
Read our Ethiopia Country Profile.
Putting Smallholder Producers at the Centre of the Value Chain